Saturday 21 May 2011

Thankyou to all of you who Responded to: don’t put your Shepherd on the stage Mrs…


Let me start by thanking all of you who responded to my request for feedback on whether I should keep Renton in my TV news reports or leave him out the picture.  I received quite a number of comments, and people also contacted me by Twitter and privately by email.
I think Terry summed it up perfectly when he asked me- 
“When you use a sighted guide to get to the place where you deliver your piece to camera, does the sighted guider stay in the picture?    Also, "When you use one of those terribly attractive long white canes, do you hold on to it while you're presenting?  If the answer to these two questions is "no", then I think you also know the answer to your question.”

Terry is correct. [He doesn’t hear that very often.] If I’m moving about in a film Renton is relevant to the story, as that’s how I move about. Just to have him in because it fills the frame nicely, is not good enough.

So, from now on, I’ve decided if I’m moving and I have Renton with me he’ll be in the film.  However, if I’m doing a piece to camera and I’m static he’s out. Plus if I’m interviewing someone and Renton is at my feet, he is out of shot, no matter how tempting it might be for camera people and editors to stick him in, especially, when I’m interviewing unattractive politicians and they need a shot of a handsome dog to add interest!

So, sorry Renton but your out, although it pains me to curb your acting roles, but you are dumped from TV unless you have an action shot.  

My god he’ll be asking for a stunt double next.   

No comments:

Post a Comment